Here’s how to make your very own personal Dropbox replacement
1) Install the same version of ‘unison’ both on the server and client. Install ‘inotify-tools’ on the client. Create a folder on the client that you would like to use for syncing.
2) Install ‘openssh-server’ on the server. Create a user on the server with the same name as the client that will be syncing to it. Also create a sync folder in the user’s home folder.
3) To avoid being asked for the password all the time on the client:
- Generate an RSA key pair used to authenticate with the server (instead of using a password): ssh-keygen -t rsa
- Send your RSA key to your server: ssh-copy-id USERNAME@SERVER
- Now SSH to your server and it shouldn’t ask for a password. If you get an “Agent admitted failure to sign using the key” error, try ‘ssh-add’ and repeat this step.